Sunday, October 10, 2010

San Diego/The Real Work Begins

I just got finished with almost 2 weeks of really awesome training in San Diego. I got the opportunity to train at the Olympic Training Center with my good friend Yoo Kim while I was out there, which was absolutely amazing. I learned a lot training with him. I spent some time doing some really short run jumping in flats and worked a lot with him on my running, plant motion and takeoff. We also did a bunch of work off of the runway on my running form. We were working on trying to keep my hips up and run tall and elastically by finicking a little bit with my run timing and foot strike. All in all I was working on a lot of new ideas, but felt like I picked up a lot of cues and am already working toward getting better in those areas. I also did some really solid workouts in the weight room, including 6x2 in the snatch at 75kg, 4x5 in the clean at 90kg and some good running workouts like 2x4x120m at 85% with Recovery of 2' and 4'. Of course I got to spend a bunch of quality time with my family, but I was glad it also ended up being a really good training trip.

On Thursday I got back to Bloomington and went to Force on Friday to test in the clean. My PR in the clean is 112.5kg, which is fairly low, and I set a year goal of cleaning 120kg. First we started with some heavy doubles from the blocks, and I made it all the way up to 105kg for 2 without missing at all. We moved to singles off of the floor at that point and I easily made 90kg, 100kg and 110kg. I was pretty happy with 110kg and how easy it felt considering I haven't yet done a ton of heavy cleaning. I felt so good at 110kg we decided to skip straight to 120kg, and I barely missed. I pulled it high and racked it, but was barely forward and missed it. I was super happy with that effort though, and will hopefully be able to make that weight in a few weeks when we test again.

Now onto the real deal. While all of my posts so far have been fine and dandy, tomorrow is when the real work begins. Tomorrow is the first day that my coach, Jake Wiseman and I will meet for training at the track. From this point forward until January I will be going to the track 6 days per week with Coach Wiseman and lifting 3-4 times per week with Wil Fleming. This is when the real work begins, and we are going to focus hard on building raw blow and power on the track just like we are in the weight room. Needless to say, I'm excited. Check back soon!

Jeff

1 comment:

  1. Keep writing! Thanks for keeping us updated.

    Momma says hi, we are sitting at the kitchen table here in Bardstown.

    ReplyDelete