Monday, September 27, 2010

Oakland and San Diego (... so far)


Well I flew out on Friday to Oakland to visit my brother and ended up having some great times and some really fun workouts. On Friday I went to visit his school (he teaches P.E., coaches Track and XC and is the Men's Athletic Director) and do some warmup drills and strides with his XC team. They seemed to enjoy it and so did I.

After that we went straight to King's Gym in East Oakland to do some boxing. I'd never boxed before, but Paul has been going for about three months and he hooked me up with his trainer for the day. We warmed up with 3 sets of 3 minute of jump roping, then did some basic learning stuff and then I worked the punching bag for a while before going to work the gloves with the trainer. I probably did three or four sets of 2-3 minutes on the gloves and was absolutely beat. After that we worked the heavy bag some more, and I went home exhausted. It was super fun.

The next day we got up early and went to a cross country race that my brother was running. He ran well and we had a good time people watching and talking about how funny those cross country races are. Everyone takes it super seriously, which is really cool at times and pretty funny at times. Anyway, after that we hung out for a while and then he took me to a place called the Great Western Power Company, which is actually a cross-fit gym and a rock climbing gym all rolled into one. I got a good workout in with some snatch complexes, medball, core and KB swings, and we went home. That evening we went out in Berkeley with my friends Mike Morrisson and his girlfriend Herdis and had a great time.

On Sunday I flew into San Diego, where I will be training for the next two weeks. Today (Monday) was a super fun day, as I got to do some stand-up paddleboarding for the first time ever! I've really been itching to try it, and my step-dad Jim got a board and a paddle recently and let me try it out. Here I am in beautiful San Diego Bay on my first paddleboard trip:
Anyway, Jim and my Mom hopped in some kayaks and we ended up paddling around the bay about two and a half miles. Afterward, Jim jumped on the paddleboard and showed me what I should really look like paddling that thing around. I hope I'm that smooth when I'm 60! Here he is trimming the bay:


Anyway, this is a pole vault blog so I guess I should get back to that. Later in the day I went over to UCSD, a weight room I love to train at, and got in a really solid monday workout with some good hang cleans, plyos overhead pressing and split squatting. Tomorrow I'm going to head out to the Olympic Training Center to train with my friend Yoo Kim. We're going to have a little jump session out there hopefully, which will be my first real jumping of the year. I'm not planning on doing much, but I'm excited to bend a pole a few times late in the session after some more straight pole work. Hope for the best! Until next time...

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment