Thursday, September 23, 2010

Maxes and Travels

So this week was max week in the weight room. On monday I went in hyped and ready to max in the snatch, only to have my shoulder flare up during the warmup to the point where I just went home and went for a jog. I came back in Tuesday and did my Monday workout minus the max, because my shoulder was still bugging me. I went in Wednesday ready to max in the snatch and the front squat, and was able to get both in. I warmed up and started my snatch progression. I started with some 5 rep sets at 40, 50 and 60 kg. I then hit triples at 70 and 75kg pretty easily, and moved up to make 80kg for 3 from a hang. I was real happy about that one, and you can watch it here. I moved to the squat rack, where we were going for a 5 rep max in the front squat. I have never been much of a squatter (at all), but was able to do some warmup sets at 50 60 and 70 before moving to 85kg for an easy 5. I probably could have gone for 6-8 at that weight or gone up to 90 or 95 for a true 5 rep max, but we decided to cut it off there where I was fairly comfortable but it felt heavy. I was really happy with my maxes, since both of them were probably rep PRs, and then I moved on to do 12 sets of 10 second weighted vest vertical jumps with 40 seconds rest and was done for the day!

The rest of the week has been interesting. After my weight session Wednesday, I jumped in the car and headed to Manhattan, Kansas (9 hrs) to pick up my friend John Jefferson, whose car had completely broken down in Colby, KS. His friend Christian Smith was nice enough to give him a ride to Manhattan, and I met them there, had a snack, drank some of Christian's coffee, and headed back to Bloomington. All-in-all it was a 20 hour trip through the night, and I took a 4 hour nap today followed by my jog and now I'm spent.

Tomorrow I get on a plane and head to Oakland to see my brother for a weekend before heading down to San Diego for about 10 days to hang out with my parents and hopefully do a little bit of training at the Olympic Training Center with my friend Yoo Suk Kim. Should be good!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment