Sunday, September 19, 2010

Progress etc.

Well this week was a down week in the weight room but I did manage to get in a couple good workouts in there and otherwise. I have been sticking to doing some straight pole work a few times per week so that I can learn some new concepts there (getting the top hand moving up off of the ground, jumping through the center of the pole with elastic arms and pushing through the penultimate step to name a few) during the fall and transfer it to my fiberglass vaulting in the winter more easily. This week I managed to do a stay behind drill with a grip of 12'10", which is basically a 6 step or 3 left straight pole drill with no swing-up. The highest I've ever really been able to hold before and swing up is about 12'3", so hopefully if it gets even a little bit better and I can start to swing up on it, I will be ready to approach some serious 6 step straight pole PRs. My goal this year was to be able to swing up with 13' of grip comfortably, so I'm right where I need to be there, and it has been 100% a result of working on a number of technical changes on the runway and at takeoff.

Anyway, this week is going to be pretty fun. Tomorrow I get to put up my first max of the year, which is going to be a 3 rep max in the hang snatch. I'm looking for something around 70kg, and 75kg would be absolutely awesome. On Wednesday we go for an 8 rep max in the front squat, which I'm less excited about haha. I'm not much of a squatter but while we're all friends here I can tell you that something around 80kg would be pretty darn good for me at this point. I operate only in kg, so hopefully I'm not confusing you too much! Thats all for now.

Jeff

1 comment: